Confused by the dizzying array of options when trying to buy your first set of trekking poles? Here are 3 factors to take into consideration to help you narrow down your choices and pick the best poles to suit your needs!
- Purpose - the type of terrain and walking you will be using the poles for
- If you're just starting out and are undecided about the terrains you will mostly be covering, the versatile Black Diamond Distance Z Poles would be a good place to start. However, for more extreme terrain, it would help to have better shock absorption features (such as the Black Diamond Trail Pro Shock Poles).
- Going on a long trek? Then the weight of the poles would begin to matter. The lightest trekking poles on the market would be those made of carbon, such as the Black Diamond Carbon Distance Z Poles at only 290g per pair on average. On a long trek, you will be grateful for their near negligible swing weight!
- 'Packability' - if you need to store them when not in use
- For day hikes, treks and short backpacking trips, you may find that you don't need something ultra-light nor collapsible. In that case, you'll find that the simple, non-collapsible Black Diamond Trail Sport 3 Poles with adjustable height features will get the job done.
- Budget - how much you are willing to spend for the features you need
- Don't be afraid to set a budget, but always keep in mind which features would be most important to the type of walking, terrain and duration that you expect to be using the poles for and come to a good compromise!
Already have your trekking poles? Check out good beginner walking trails in Singapore here!