Do you or your loved ones need a mobility aid? If yes, how do you choose the right one? There is a wide range of mobility aids that are out there in the market. That can make choosing the right mobility aids for yourself or your loved ones really challenging. Plus, the challenge doesn’t end there! How do you make sure that your mobility aids are safe and durable after purchase?
Here are some handy tips to help you out or download our free e-book to access this package anywhere!
#1 Should you or your loved ones be using a mobility aid?
In Singapore, there is a stigma against the use of mobility aids. Instead of using proper mobility aids, some might decide to stay at home or opt to use an umbrella. However, using a mobility aid does not mean that you’re old or frail. It just means that you need a little more support when you’re walking. So, don't be afraid to use mobility aids to help you live your best life!
There are 9 different types of mobility levels based on physical needs. Each of them can be matched to at least one suitable mobility aid. These mobility aids include walking canes, walkers, rollators, and much more.
Go through this flowchart to help you understand your mobility needs and find out if you or your loved ones should be using a mobility aid.
#2 What are the different types of mobility aids that are available in the market?
From walking canes to motorized wheelchairs, the market has a huge range of different products that cater to different physical needs.
These products can be broken down into four main categories.
- One-handed Walking Aids: Walking Canes, Seat Canes
- Two-handed Walking Aids: Walking Frames, Wheeled Walkers, Rollators
- Seated Mobility Aids: Pushchairs, Wheelchairs
- Motorized Mobility Aids: Motorized Wheelchairs, Mobility Scooters
In each of these categories, there are many more designs and features that you can choose from, depending on your physical needs and personal preferences.
#3 How to choose the right mobility aid?
To pick the right mobility aid, you will need to understand what you really need and research on what is available in the market.
Some things that you could look out for when shopping for a mobility aid include:
- Look for licensed retailers: Find out if the retailer has an HSA Dealer’s License and if the mobility aid is FDA or CE certified.
- Necessary Features: Do you need any special features? Mobility aids with special features tend to be more expensive. But, you don’t have to get them if you don’t need those special features!
- Quality of the Parts: Not all mobility aids are made equal. For example, higher quality brakes are rounded which protects the wheels of your mobility aids.
Our team has crafted a Mobility Aids Buying Guide that can help you out more! In this guide, we discuss the different types of mobility aids that are available in the market and how to determine the which is the right mobility aid for you or your loved ones. We also outline the things that you need to look out for when you are shopping for your mobility aid and how to take care of your mobility aids after purchase.
Get access to this FREE guide here!