We all know that staying active is a crucial part of a healthy lifestyle, and this remains relevant to seniors as well! Keeping active have been known to boost the immune function of older adults, which is crucial as our immune system is often compromised as we grow older. An active life also helps to keep moods uplifted, enhancing emotional health!
That being said, how has our community help make keeping active an easy and enjoyable task for seniors? In this post, we will mention some present Senior Activity Centres all over Singapore which help to improve the quality of life by providing activities like recreational arts and crafts programmes and keep-fit exercise sessions.
Senior Activity Centres (SACs) in Singapore
- Conduct activities and programmes that help seniors to be physically and mentally alert, and continue to keep them plugged into a social network
- They have many locations in Singapore namely Tampines, Clementi, Ang Mo Kio and more
- They currently reach out to 3000 seniors
- Social recreational and therapeutic activities encourage seniors to remain integrated in society
- Activities include handicrafts, bingo games, excursions to places of interest
- Provides health screening and exercise programmes like line dancing
- Eligible seniors: above 60 years old and reside in Blk 123 and 125 of Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6
- provides programmes for needy and vulnerable seniors
- has activities like dance and karaoke, and morning exercise sessions
- located in many places including Ang Mo Kio, Boon Lay and Macpherson
There are also other programmes in place all around Singapore for elderly to stay active and entertained. Below are some options!
- Singapore first arts education centre for seniors
- Variety of exciting courses and learning opportunities in music, visual arts, creative arts, theatre and new arts
- Develop seniors' area of interest and enrich their lives
- A senior-friendly strength-training programme that reverses frailty
- Largely deployed in nursing homes and senior care centres
- Now available to seniors living in the community, in places like ActiveSG gyms and community club
- a drama company that conducts on drama-related activities that cater for the seniors
- Produces performances by the seniors for organisations
- the company has about 50 members, aged between 50 and 85
- platform for the seniors to stay mentally and physically active
There are many ways to stay physically and mentally active even in your old age, and this is how u can take a step towards positive ageing by enriching your life with activities. Get your loved ones to join some today!
Related Article: Staying Physically Active and Fit for Older Adults